Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Benefit update and thank you's

Thanks to everyone who came out to the party at Rock Lobster!

We raised $500 (on the dot, can you believe it?!) at the door and another $150 or so from the raffle. Additionally, IndyMojo raised another $250 from online donations, thanks in large part to this video that Hup did. It might not have been the $5k that they were hoping for, but every dollar helps when you've got to replace all the contents of your life (especially on little things like spices and baking dishes and cleaning products and such . . . it all adds up!). I'm sure that number would have been much higher had the donations that friends and family -- including a very large chunk from coworkers at the Indiana Historical Society and former coworkers at the Indianapolis Star -- been included. It was the donations of these people that put cash in my hands the day after it all happened to make sure that I had the means to be on my feet, have clothes to wear, etc. right after the fire. I am forever indebted to those people who gave so freely to make sure I was taken care of.

I must say that I was truly touched and overwhelmed by the number of people who came, brought friends, etc. Many of you I haven't seen in awhile and there were so many people around that I felt bad that I couldn't circulate enough to say hi to all of you, but I truly appreciate you being there and giving and supporting me through all of this.


Additional thanks goes to:
Jer Gregg, who provided us with a great acoustic set. I love listening to his voice and staring into his loin-melting eyes. Jer's a doll and if you missed out, please click here to check him out on Myspace.

Rock Lobster, for letting us use their space to hold the benefit.

Beth and Hup for helping to promote and organize the event.

And my best friend Nicole for having the idea to hold a benefit and coordinating the raffle -- making numerous phone calls and getting local businesses to donate items/gift certificates/etc. While she might not be able to donate $1,000 to the "Kimiko needs new stuff" fund, she gave me a place to stay when I was temporarily homeless, she has fed me, cried with me, gone back to the house with me and been a rock for me through this whole ordeal. I can't express how thankful I am to have a friend like her who loves me like she does.

Also, although he had to work the night of the benefit, I have to thank my main man JDub), with whom I was out at karaoke before all of this happened. He stood by me all night as the chaos of fire trucks, police, neighbors, etc. all went down and hugged me and held me as I cried my eyes out and tried to make sense of everything that was going on. He has my heart and I'm so thankful for his love and friendship.

Special thanks to my former employer Naked Tchopstix, as well as Yats and Savvy Salon (two of my favorite places in town - and some of the greatest people you'll meet!), who donated to the raffle.

Yats - Joe is awesome. If you don't know Joe, you're missing out. Aside from being a cheery breath of fresh air, he also gave a personal donation to HomeGoods to continue rebuilding our home.

Savvy Salon - Major thanks to Katie and her crew, who not only made me beautiful the night of the party (as they always do), but also collected $5 from every haircut the week of the fire and gave me a fat check for $505 so that I could go buy groceries and clothes and such.

No comments: